Industry Development

Market Development Program

The Market Development Program connects the Manitoba music industry to artists, tastemakers, decision makers, and brokers in the broader national and international music industry by raising awareness of Manitoba and the music made here and creating opportunities for Manitobans to build relationships in new markets. 

The Market Development Program includes general Manitoba music industry promotion and targeted market development support through trade missions, industry showcases, marketing events, online marketing, and public events.

Through the Market Development Program, Manitoba Music has hosted events at conferences and festivals such as South by Southwest, North by Northeast, Canadian Music Week, International Folk Alliance, OCFF, Musexpo, midem, and more.

Showcase Submissions

Artist selection for Manitoba Music showcases follows a selection process that includes a call for submissions and selection committee. See current open calls for submission in the news feed.

Music Companies Apprenticeship Program

The Music Companies Apprenticeship Program supports paid apprenticeships in the music industry in Manitoba. The purpose of the program is to create new jobs in Manitoba’s music industry, to provide mentorship and work experience for new workers in the music industry, and to increase the capacity of music companies in Manitoba.

Applicant companies (including full-time artist entrepreneurs) may apply for up to 75% of the wages for a paid apprentice, to a maximum of $9,000. Companies must contribute the remaining 25%. The program will fund up to three apprentices for a six-month term, commencing in October 2016. The maximum amount is intended to fund a six-month full-time apprenticeship position; part-time positions will be prorated. 

Interested companies and apprentices can apply using the form below. Company applications are adjudicated by a selection committee. Apprentices are chosen by the selected companies with assistance from Manitoba Music. Companies are encouraged to consult with Manitoba Music’s Industry Development Manager prior to applying.

Application Form

Deadline for Applications

Artist Management Apprenticeship Program 

The Artist Management Apprenticeship Program supports a paid apprenticeship in the music industry in Manitoba. The purpose of the program is to create new jobs in Manitoba’s music industry, to provide mentorship and work experience for new artist managers, and to increase the capacity of export-ready artist entrepreneurs in Manitoba. The program will select an artist management intern and up to three artists. The management apprentice will work directly for the artists and will have access to industry mentors provided by Manitoba Music.

The program will fund at least one Management Apprentice working concurrently for up to three artist entrepreneurs for a six-month term, commencing in October 2016. Manitoba Music will contribute up to $9,000, or 75% of the total amount paid to the Apprentice. The participating artists will share the remaining 25% contribution. 

Interested artists and apprentices can apply using the form below. Artist applications are adjudicated by a selection committee. Apprentice's applications will be shortlisted and reviewed by the successful artists. Final selection of apprentices will be based on interviews with the artists and Manitoba Music representatives.

Applicants are encouraged to consult with Manitoba Music’s Industry Development Manager prior to applying.

Application Form

Deadline for Applications:

Business Acceleration Consulting Program

The purpose of the Business Acceleration Consulting Program is to support Manitoba music industry companies and artist entrepreneurs in the engagement of business development consultants with the goal of increasing company capacity, accelerating company growth, and/or strengthening the company’s business model.

Applicant companies and artist entrepreneurs may apply for up to 75% of consulting fees, to a maximum of $7,500. Contributions will be in the form of a grant. The program is intended to fund a consulting contract taking place over a four- to six-month period.

Interested companies can apply using the form below. Applications are adjudicated by a selection committee. Companies are encouraged to consult with Manitoba Music’s Industry Development Manager prior to applying. 

Application Form

Applications may be submitted at any time between April 1, 2015 and March 1, 2016.

Market Access Program

The Market Access Program supports Manitoba artists and music industry professionals in attending and enhancing their presence at professionally organized music industry conferences and showcases, in significantly enhancing their access to new markets, and in developing new business relationships through purposely organized showcases.

See the Market Access Program page for more information, deadlines, and application forms.