Changes to Temporary Foreign Worker Program

Posted on

New regulations for international touring artists playing in Canada have been making headlines since the Calgary Herald’s August 28 article, New fees for international touring musicians threaten smaller clubs and live venues across Canada. These new rules, which went into effect on July 31, could have a devastating impact on the future of Canada’s music industry.

Here are the facts

  • When venues with a primary business other than music (i.e. bars and restaurants) want to book non-Canadian acts, they must apply for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO).
  • There is now an application fee of $275 per non-Canadian performing artist and crew member (tour manager, sound tech, etc.) for every performance in Canada.
  • This new fee is in addition to a $150 charge for each approved musician and crew member’s work permit.
  • Touring acts playing several Canadian tour dates, festivals, or busking, are exempt ONLY if they do not perform in bars or restaurants.
  • AFM union members from the U.S. are exempt from having to get an LMO, though they still must pay for a work permit. 
  • Other venues that exist primarily to present music are exempt.

Click here to read the legislation

Here’s why we’re concerned

At a time when live music and touring are absolutely critical to the health of our industry and workers, these rules could have very serious ramifications.

  • Many small clubs and venues will be unable to afford the new fees and will not be able to book international touring acts.
  • Emerging Canadian artists will lose revenue and valuable opportunities to develop their fan base by opening for touring acts.
  • Without the revenue generated from these touring acts, venues may struggle to operate, potentially putting many Canadians out of work, including promoters, sound techs, bartenders, servers, and other show crew.
  • If venues close, Canadian artists would lose places to perform and generate revenue.

Here’s what we’re doing

Manitoba Music is currently working with other Canadian music industry organisations to communicate to the Government of Canada our concerns about these new fees, and to request that exemptions be given to all musicians and artists, regardless of which venue or promoter is applying for the permit.  

Here’s what you can do 

  1. Contact your Member of Parliament and tell them that artists and crew should be exempt from the $275 application fee, regardless of which venue or promoter is applying for the permit.

    Here are some examples of things you can write:
    • Music contributes $303 million in GDP to the Canadian economy [Source: Sound Analysis: An Examination of the Canadian Independent Music Industry, February 2013]
    • Strong live music venues and touring environments are critical to the health of the Canadian music industry and its workers.
    • We need to protect Canada’s music industry workers. Exposure to other artists is a vital part of the creative process, essential for artist development.
    • A vibrant live music scene contributes to tourism, the economy, and to the well-being of communities.
  2. Send us a letter or email telling us that as a Manitoba artist, you welcome touring artists from outside Canada and that you are not in support of this new fee. We can use your letters in our efforts.

    Please send to:

    Sara Stasiuk, Executive Director
    Manitoba Music
    1-376 Donald Street
    Winnipeg, MB  R3B 2J2 
  3. Add your name to the growing petition.

Stay tuned for more updates in the weekly enews, on, and via Twitter and Facebook.

Read more news