PARTNERSHIPS & SPONSORSHIPS
Partnering, community involvement, and cooperative development are essential for the continuing growth of the Manitoba music industry. We partner with many organizations throughout the year to help promote events that highlight local music and work with community partners on projects that help develop local artists and the community.
Manitoba Music’s partners:
- Have a mandate, mission, vision, and principles that matches ours
- Prioritize inclusivity, safety, and reflect the diversity of our society and our industry
- Highlight local music in a significant way
- Include local artists, the majority of which should be Manitoba Music members
- Offer suitable compensation to participating artists
- Contribute to the overall quality of life of Manitobans
- Benefit more than one artist or company
- Focus primarily on original music and/or arrangements
We have been lucky to work with a lot of stellar organizations and individuals on some very impactful and exciting programming. The nature of creative work necessitates a certain amount of flexibility when it comes to connecting on a project or event, but there are some things are typically eligible and some that typically aren’t.
Examples of projects and events that are typically eligible:
- Festivals, concerts, and series that highlight local music in a significant way
- Showcases that offer significant opportunities for audience and/or career development
- Events and projects that highlight and support the development of underserved communities, genres, and audiences
- Workshops and outreach events that offer Manitoba Music a deeper connection to underrepresented communities and genres
Examples of projects and events that are typically ineligible:
- Albums and release parties
- Singing contests
- Battle of the bands
- Events/projects with no significant connection to music
We get a lot of requests for support and partnership and unfortunately, we don’t have the resources to accommodate all of them.
Depending on the nature of the project, Manitoba Music may prioritize partnerships with members and not-for-profits.
How do partnerships work?
Manitoba Music’s partnerships are most often focused on value-in-kind promotion, leveraging our reach into the music community, including music fans, artists and companies.
We also share our experience, knowledge of best practices, and music industry connections to support projects.
We can also connect projects and events with our programs, including our Professional Development Program, Indigenous Music Development Program, and Francophone Music Program.
Partnerships may include:
- Marketing & Promotion
- Web stories and related social media promotion of an upcoming event
- Premier branded content in event listings in the online portal and MB Live app
- Category search in the online listings portal and MB Live app
- Ad space on manitobamusic.com
- Inclusion in features carousel on manitobamusic.com
- Inclusion of content in weekly member enews
- Professional development sessions (e.g. workshops, moderators, mentoring, feedback on training plans)
- Adjudication and programming services
In return, we are often looking for the following:
- Our logo included on promotional material
- Our banner at the event
- Social media mentions
- Tickets or swag for MB Live giveaways
- Acknowledgement from the stage, in media releases
- Inclusion of our info in communications, delegate bags, etc.
What about sponsorship?
Manitoba Music does not have a budget for cash sponsorships. We may, from time to time, be able to purchase advertising and materials. Requests should be made at least six months in advance.
How to get Manitoba Music involved…
If you have an idea or proposal for an event/project you’d like to see Manitoba Music involved with, please contact:
Association & Communications Manager
We encourage those interested to email a brief summary of the event/project that includes confirmed and/or potential performers, confirmed and/or potential partners/sponsors, info on the communities reached, any special considerations, and how you would like to see Manitoba Music involved. We’re big fans of bullet points and would also be happy to meet in person or talk on the phone.
Free Resources Available To All
While we can’t always offer partnership, we do have a number of resources available to everyone, including:
- Inclusion of basic info for any live music event happening in Manitoba in our online listings portal and MB Live app
- Inclusion of basic info and cover art for all commercially-available new music releases by Manitoba-based artists at manitobamusic.com/new-music-releases
- Consultation on applying for funding from other organizations
- Streams of some past music business workshops via our Facebook page
- Inclusion of basic info in the Recording Studios section of manitobamusic.com/industry for all Manitoba Film & Music accredited studios
Active Manitoba Music members can also connect with staff for an overview of additional promotional opportunities available (e.g. Song of the Week, streaming playlists, video gallery).
Big Fun Festival
Black Arts Fest Canada (BAF Concert Series)
Black Space Winnipeg (Afro Prairie Film Festival)
Creative Manitoba (Youth Mentorship)
Festival du Voyageur
Harvest Moon Festival
Icelandic Festival of Manitoba
Jazz Winnipeg (TD Winnipeg International Jazz Festival)
Le 100 Nons
Manitoba Country Music Association
Manitoba Film & Music
Rainbow Trout Music Festival
Real Love Summer Fest
Synonym Art Consultation (Wall-To-Wall Mural + Culture Festival)
The Forks (Canada Day at The Forks, Buskers Program, The Common playlists)
Tourism Winnipeg (MB Live listings)
UMFM 101.5 (New Music Night)
Winnipeg Folk Festival (Open Mic Nights, Manitoba workshop, Stringray Young Performers Program)
National & International Partners
Aboriginal Peoples Television Network
Americana Music Association
Alliance nationale de l’industrie musicale
BreakOut West / Western Canadian Music Alliance
CARAS / The JUNO Awards
Canada Council for the Arts
Canadian Council of Music Industry Associations (CCMIA: MusicBC, Alberta Music, SaskMusic, Music Nova Scotia, Music NL, Music New Brunswick, Music PEI, Music Yukon, Music NWT)
Canadian Country Music Association
Canadian Music Week
Folk Alliance International
Folk Music Canada
Folk Music Ontario
M for Montreal
Music Canada Live
Music Export Canada
Music Managers Forum Canada
North by Northeast
Place des Arts
Société Nationale de l’Acadie
South by Southwest