The Roblin Review
The Review was not the first newspaper in Roblin – The Roblin Messenger and Shell River News began publishing in 1908 – but it has a long tradition of serving the community.
Its history goes back to 1912 when the first issue of The Roblin Review and Togo News hit the streets on Hallowe’en. It was published by owner-editor Herb J. Bowley. Bowley ran the paper for 27 years, selling it to Jim Thom of Russell in 1939.
Thom published The Review – the Togo News had been dropped from the masthead in the ‘20s – until his untimely death in November, 1952 but his wife Alice kept the presses rolling with the help of printer Johnny Jones.
Two Dauphinites, David H. (Harry) Oliphant and his wife Margaret – purchased the paper in 1954 and moved to Roblin. When Harry retired in 1988, it it was purchased by another Dauphinite, Robert F. Gilroy, owner-publisher of the Dauphin Herald.
After several years of corporate ownership, the Review became a Gilroy family paper again – and is today joined by its sister newspapers the Dauphin Herald, the Russell Banner, the Swan Valley Star & Times, and the Opasquia Times.
The Review continues to fulfill its mandate of providing residents of Roblin and district with news of their community and preserving that news for posterity.
- Ed Doering
- Box 938 - 119 First Avenue Roblin MB Canada R0L1P0
- 1 204 937 8377
- 1 204 937 8212