Since 2009, The Uniter has compiled a list of the five local musical acts it believes to be the most intriguing to watch in the forthcoming year.
For the fourth year in a row, The Uniter is taking it a step further, providing new local acts a chance at some coverage, recording opportunities, a showcase, and industry contacts, with music fans doing the voting. This year, the showcase will happen on January 19, 2017 at The Good Will.
Do you think you are one of the five local acts to watch in 2017? Send your application to email@example.com before November 30 at noon, with "Uniter Fiver" as the subject line. You will need to send:
- Your band's bio
- Names of all band members (first and last)
- A photo of your band
- The date of your first show / performance as a band
- An MP3 of the song you'd like to showcase
- A link to this same song on Soundcloud
Acts that meet the criteria will be added to uniter.ca/uniterfiver when online voting opens. Voting runs December 2 until December 20 at noon. See below for a full list of eligibility criteria.
The take home:
The top five acts (voted by online vote) will all receive prize packages and other perks. An industry panel will choose the winner from the top five highest votes videos at Uniter.ca.
The top five will receive a one year membership to Manitoba Music, a chance to record at UMFM, and a spot on an industry showcase – headlined by the winner – at The Good Will on January 19. The top five acts will be profiled in the January 19 issue of The Uniter, and the winner will be featured on the cover.
The winner will also get the chance to record a thre- song EP at Collector Studio. There are more goodies TBA for both the top five and the winner.
Criteria to submit
- Acts must be new (within the last two years). You cannot have performed under the current name as a solo artist or band before January 1, 2015. Solo artists/bands must not feature current employees of The Uniter or any members that have been in bands with current employees of The Uniter (to avoid a conflict of interest).
- Artists must be available to play the January 19, 2017 showcase to enter.
- Artists must not have been featured in previous Five Bands to Watch/Uniter Fiver features.
- Artists must be Manitoba residents.
- The Uniter reserves the right to use any materials from Uniter Fiver submissions (MP3s, photos, etc.) to help promote the Uniter Fiver.
- Uniter Fiver