Since 2009, The Uniter has compiled a list of the five local musical acts it believes to be the most intriguing to watch in the forthcoming year. This list has included Royal Canoe, Del Barber, The Lytics, and Eagle Lake Owls.
Last year, The Uniter changes things up a bit, providing new local acts a chance at some coverage, recording opportunities and industry contacts and let music fans do the voting.
Local acts Sibyl, Greek Riots, Hearing Trees, PANTS, and FINN were selected by readers to be featured in the magazine and perform at an industry showcase, among other fun prizes.
The Uniter is teaming up with Manitoba Music and the West End Cultural Centre once again this year and the showcase will happen on January 15, 2015 at the WECC.
Do you think you are one of the five local acts to watch in 2015? If so, please tweet a brand new YouTube video (it can be simple audio, a full on production or you singing in your bathroom - just make it your best song) @TheUniter with the hashtag #UNITERFIVER between now and December 18, 2014. Acts that meet the criteria will be added to The Uniter's site on December 19. Views don't count, the winners will be taken from how many "likes" the video gets on YouTube. Voting will end on January 2, 2015 at noon.
The top five acts (voted by the public at uniter.ca) will play an industry showcase at the West End Cultural Centre on January 15, be featured in The Uniter, receive a one year membership to Manitoba Music, and a few other treats.
Chosen by an industry panel, the winner (selected from the five highest voted videos at uniter.ca) will get the chance to record at Collector Studio. The winner will also be featured on the cover of The Uniter, headline the industry showcase on January 15 at the West End Cultural Centre, receive a one year membership to Manitoba Music, and more TBA.
- Acts must be new (within the last two years). You can not have performed under the current name as a solo artist or band before January 1, 2013.
- Solo artists/bands must not feature current employees of The Uniter or any members that have been in bands with current employees of The Uniter (to avoid a conflict of interest).
- Artists must be available to play the January 15, 2015 showcase to enter.
- Artists must not have been featured in previous Five Bands to Watch/Uniter Fiver features.
- Artists must be Manitoba residents.